.::GENOVATION.COM::. Forum Index .::GENOVATION.COM::.
~Genovation User Forum~

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

virtual com ports stop working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    .::GENOVATION.COM::. Forum Index -> MiniTerminals - MiniTerm 9xx series
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HUTCH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: virtual com ports stop working Reply with quote

Is anybody having issues when using the 904-rj keypads and setting them up to specific com ports. After I set them up I check to make sure they are working with the genovation keypad test application and they work fine. But then for some reason when come back the next day turn the computer on the keypad doesn't communicate through the com port and I have reassign to reassign com port the keypad again. This is a pain when you are setting up a computer to be used on a cash line and the user is not a technical person. I am using these keypads on usb ports and emulating a serial com port with the software that came with the keypads. Maybe there is a way to refresh the keypad/com ports without having to actually go through the steps again with a program.
Nakamichi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using MiniTermPro the COM ports are tied to specific USB ports. Make sure you are using the same ones day-to-day and label them if necessary. Same thing if you use a HUB or have different users logging into the machine. Once all users are on the same page everything will go smoothly.
HUTCH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, but in this instance the laptops that I am using have 3 usb ports available. I went ahead and assigned a com port number to each of them using the Genovation software. This way it doesn't matter which usb port the user plugs the 904rj keypad into it will always work. That's the theory but sometimes its like the com ports become unusable and the only thing you can do is to clear the com ports and start over. It doesn't matter how many times you reboot the laptop either. This is a pain when you are using these computers for sales on a daily basis. I can't expect the use to learn and understand how to reprogram the keypad when the already assigned ports fail to work. Now also when I go back in to re assing com ports to the usb ports the ones that I had originally selected are greyed out so its not losing the information. It would be nice if there was some kind of refresh software to reactivate the com ports that were already assigned to begin with.
Nakamichi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give us a phone call. Our support people can sort you out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    .::GENOVATION.COM::. Forum Index -> MiniTerminals - MiniTerm 9xx series All times are GMT - 1 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: